Work-life balance isn't something that happens by accident. Like anything worthwhile, you have to put in the work to make it happen - if you aren't going to make it a priority, don't expect anyone to do it for you.
The only way to create a different experience is to make different choices. That means taking control of your workflow to use your time at work to your best advantage.
1. When you feel a twinge of frustration with a process, make a note of it. There are constant opportunities for process improvements around us, we often tune them out.
2. Do the “heavy lifting” early in the day when your mind is fresh.
3. Follow the 80/20 rule. Only 20 percent of what you do each day produces 80 percent of your results. Eliminate the things that don’t matter.
4. Stop multi-tasking. Changing tasks more than 10 times a day leads to profound inefficiency and drops your IQ an average of 10 points. Focus on one task at a time.
5. Exercise your right to decline inconsequential meetings.
6. Be optimistic - if you only change one thing, do this. It's vital for creating momentum and turbo-charging creativity and productivity. Personally, it’s changed my life.